We help relieve tension through massage, stretching, dry needling, and personalized exercise programs. We’ll also show you how proper posture can make a world of difference.
How Can a Physical Therapist Help?
There is an effective treatment for almost every type of headache. As physical therapists, we can help determine the type of headache you have and manage the pain and will conduct a thorough examination that includes a review of your health history. We will ask you questions and perform tests to determine the most likely cause of your headaches. For example, we may ask you:
– to recall any previous injuries to your neck, head, or jaw
– the location, nature, and behavior of your pain and other symptoms
– to draw your areas of pain on a body diagram
– to perform tests of muscle strength and sensation
– examine your posture when sitting, standing, and performing various activities
– measure the range of motion of your neck, shoulders, and other relevant parts of your body
– use manual therapy to evaluate the mobility of the joints and muscles in your neck
If it appears that you do have tension-type headaches, we will work with you to design a plan of care to meet your goals. If the evaluation indicates that you may have a different type of headache–such as sinus, migraine, or cluster headache–we will likely refer you to another health care professional for additional diagnostic tests and treatment.
You can begin to correct the problems that are causing your pain by learning to prevent headaches through simple changes in your posture and lifestyle. We help improve neck mobility and strength in your upper back and neck, improve your posture, and modify your workstation or home office. You don’t have to live with pain, therapy can often help. If you are experiencing frequent headaches, contact us to see how we can begin helping you feel better today.