Requesting an appointment is easy. Start by entering your email address:
What is urinary incontinence?
Urinary incontinence is when urine may leak uncontrollably. This can be in the day time (diurnal) or while sleeping, aka bedwetting (enuresis). This can cause social, emotional, and psychological stress on the child, so it's best to have it treated as soon as possible. Fortunately, therapy can help.
What could be involved?
- Overactive bladder: this can cause a sudden and uncontrollable need to urinate. The child may have many accidents or need to sprint to the bathroom to prevent accidents. They may feel the need to go, but not pass any urine during their attempt.
- Dysfunctional voiding: this may start as an overactive bladder, but the child may begin to hold onto the urine when the bladder contracts. This causes the child to not be able to properly empty the bladder, and they may develop infections, have more wetting incidents, or potentially develop kidney damage
- Urinary urgency/frequency syndrome: even with no infection, a child may feel like they suddenly need to use the restroom frequently.
- Voiding postponement: a typical child will void four to five times a day. If your child is going less than that, they may be holding urine for too long. This could be signs of an underactive bladder.
- Enuresis or bedwetting: whether the child is making more urine at night than their bladder can hold, or simply encountering an unstable bladder, bedwetting may occur. Treatments are available to help prevent this
We're here to help.
If you have a child with any sort of incontinence issue, our trained specialists are here to help. Our friendly and skilled therapists offer a variety of options to help your child reach their full potential, faster. Schedule your appointment today at a location near you to learn more about incontinence treatments.
It's OK if you don't have a prescription from your doctor.
Even if you don't have a prescription from your doctor, call one of our physical therapy clinics or use this form to book your appointment today. Learn more about direct access here.
Our clinics that offer pediatric incontinence: