The Ivy Rehab HSS Sports Physical Therapy Residency is a one-year, full-time, clinically based program created to contribute to clinicians’ professional development in the field of Sports Physical Therapy. Expert clinicians will serve as faculty mentors to guide each resident in developing advanced knowledge and clinical expertise throughout the residency program. Additionally, the residency program prepares residents to complete the ABPTS Sports Certified Specialist (SCS) examination successfully.
A hybrid model includes virtual synchronous and asynchronous learning and four in-person courses designed to teach material that will be covered on the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties Sports Certified Specialist exam. Virtual synchronous and asynchronous learning will be taught in weekly modules that include didactic material developed by Ivy Rehab Sports Specialists and faculty and featuring content from HSS, including Sports Core Rounds, Sports Core curriculum, and eAcademy videos. Monthly journal and complex case reviews and monthly curriculum reviews will be held. Residents will receive one-on-one mentoring with a Sports Specialist Physical Therapist within their region to develop clinical expertise and judgment.
- Graduation from an accredited physical therapy program
- Current PT licensure in primary state of practice
- Employed as a full-time physical therapist with Ivy Rehab by the program start date.
- Membership in the APTA and APTA Sports Section (Both required upon acceptance into Residency Program)
- Commitment to completing all program requirements
- Commitment to taking the SCS exam at the earliest eligibility
The Sports Residency Directors and Team evaluate Admissions Process Applications based on the following:
- Admission criteria listed above
- Academic education, continuing education, and other relevant experience
- Clinical experience in sports
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrating leadership, professionalism, and commitment
- The Sports Residency staff selects the top candidates each year based on the criteria described above. If necessary, applicants may be interviewed before final selection and admission into the residency program
Application deadline for the participants: September 30, 2023 | Start date: January 2, 2023
“The SCSP has been a very valuable experience. It has given me structure and guidance in preparing for the SCS exam. It has also opened me to research and con ed that I have already been implemented in my daily clinical practice. Overall, I would definitely recommend this to those interested in a sport’s clinical specialty.” – Chase Tucker, Lake Wylie, SC
“The Sports Clinical Specialty Program has been a great experience so far. I have seen my knowledge and skills in treating athletic injuries, and all injuries have improved exponentially. The leadership group has done an incredible job to allow all of us to succeed both in the program and the clinic.” – Matthew Taxin, Philadelphia, PA
“The SCSP has helped me as a clinician to bridge the gap from initial sports injury to what we see when an athlete enters the clinic. I have developed relationships with local Athletic Trainers through shadowing opportunities while gaining “on-field” experience. I look forward to continuing to use the relationships and experience gained to further grow my practice as the top sports clinic in our area. I feel adequately prepared to sit for the SCS board exam this upcoming year, thanks to this well-organized, well-led program offered by Ivy Rehab.” – Stephanie Guerra, Hoboken, NJ
“The Sports Clinical Specialty Program has provided an excellent guided pathway for me to advance as a therapist and within Ivy, in a specialty area I’m passionate about.” – Michael Fetterman, Lake Wylie, SC